Promises Fulfilled: A Leader's Guide for Supporting English Learners (Paperback)
English learners (ELs) arrive at school with unique proficiency levels and content competencies, cultural and educational backgrounds, and instructional needs. In this book, the authors share research-based strategies preK-12 administrators and teacher leaders can implement to effectively identify and support ELs. They outline what educators must consider as they renovate their EL program and its instructional components, as well as define the many EL-related terms and concepts teacher leaders must know to make this a reality. Each chapter ends with discussion questions readers should share with staff or team members to promote EL success schoolwide.
- Study research that supports the approaches to EL implementation covered in this book.
- Review academic definitions and everyday definitions of key terms for EL services.
- Gain clear guidance on how to communicate and implement expectations for EL teaching, including how teachers can help EL students develop core social-emotional skills.
- Learn how to take a whole-school approach to EL success as you consider the roles of EL coaches and recommendations for observing EL classrooms.
- Discuss key questions with your staff or team for supporting English learning.
Introduction: Just Who Are My English Learners?
Chapter 1: Requirements for Teaching English Learners
Chapter 2: Instructional Components and Strategies
Chapter 3: Development of Social-Emotional Skills
Chapter 4: Professional Development Components
Chapter 5: Professional Coaching in the Classroom
Chapter 6: Implementation Strategies for Leaders
Chapter 7: Whole-School Approach to Success for ELs (and All Other Students)
Appendix A: WISEcard and Coaching Template
Appendix B: Recommended Books